Eat Well @ CSU – Setting Health Goals

Setting Health Goals in the New Year

Good health doesn’t just happen. Often, a series of choices defines your health. Fortunately, one bad decision usually doesn’t dictate your health outcome: If you eat a cheeseburger, fries and a milkshake for dinner one night, you won’t wake up with hypertension the next morning. However, if you were to eat that same meal several nights a week for years, you might develop a chronic disease.

Just like when you want to accomplish a school task – you set a plan, you set deadlines and you take action. Setting Smart Goals can help you attain your goals by helping you reflect on the bigger picture and then breaking the process into attainable and manageable steps.

Specific – What exactly do I want to accomplish? I know I want to make ________ happen.

Measureable – Can I track my progress towards my goal?  Yes, I can keep track of ________ so I know how I’m doing.

Attainable – Is the goal attainable for me? Yes, given my current schedule and my desire to accomplish this goal, I feel that this is attainable.

Relevant/Realistic – Is the goal realistic for me? Yes, I have everything I need to make this goal a reality.  I have the support and resources in place.

Timely – When do I want to accomplish this?  I have a timeframe that works with my life and my abilities.

Remember: Desire, motivation and commitment to accomplishing a health goal are crucial! If you aren’t committed to reaching a goal, chances are you won’t. The reality is that we are all motivated to be healthy. Who doesn’t want to lead a good quality life? But it takes something extra to commit us to those goals. We must ask ourselves, why do we want to accomplish a certain health goal?

Recipe of the Week

Homemade Frozen Burritos (DIY)

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 6

These easy freezer burritos are perfect to make ahead of time and reheat whenever you need a quick lunch or dinner!

• 6 medium-sized whole wheat tortillas
  • 2 cups refried beans
  • 3 cups cooked, shredded chicken (can use leftover grilled chicken or rotisserie chicken)
  • 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
  • 1 cup sautéed vegetables (bell peppers, onions, mushrooms, etc.)
  • 6 paper towel sheets
  • Aluminum foil
  1. On top of a paper towel, place the first tortilla. Spoon 1/3 cup refried beans, 1/2 cup shredded chicken, and 1/4 cup shredded cheese onto the center of the tortilla. Top with a sprinkle of sautéed veggies.
  2. Fold two opposite sides of the tortilla together. Fold in a third side of the tortilla and roll up, keeping the ends tucked in as you go.
  3. Roll burrito up in paper towel, and then roll up in foil. Repeat for the rest of the burritos, and then place in gallon-size freezer bag. Write today’s date on the bag and store for up to several months.
  4. To reheat: Remove foil and microwave burrito inside of paper towel for 3-4 minutes if frozen. For best results, place burrito in fridge to thaw the night before and then microwave for 1 1/2-2 minutes. Let cool briefly before enjoying!

Notes

Variations: Use black beans instead of refried beans, leave out the chicken and increase the veggies for a vegetarian version, substitute shredded beef instead of the chicken, or add enchilada sauce for some extra spice. (I’d avoid using salsa, though, since it tends to be liquidy and may make your tortilla soggy.)