ICA Corner

What communities have you found to be inclusive to your identities on CSU’s campus?

• Being a Latinx student, and coming into a predominantly white-institution, I really didn’t expect to find any communities that would cater to my specific identities. Being a first year student is interesting because you get to look for the space that you feel at home with, but this is something that takes some time. One of the things that really helped me was knowing what kinds of communities I was looking for. Luckily I looked into the Multicultural Greek Council and found a sorority that I felt like I had found my second home at: Pi Lambda Chi Latina Sorority, Inc. This led me also to look into El Centro, an SPDS office that caters to the Latinx student population. Through these two communities I felt that my identities were not only represented but also spaces where I could feel at home in.
    • Julissa Hernandez, Summit Hall
  • Hey, Rams! This is Emilee, the Inclusive Community Assistant in Edwards Hall! I wanted to share with you the places I feel most include my identities. First, the Pride Resource Center has offered a great space for community and conversation since I have been on campus. I have met many friends through this office and am proud to say I have attended their Safe Zone student training, which is open to all students here at CSU! Another office I have come to appreciate on campus has been the Women and Gender Advocacy Center. Currently, I work for them as the office ICA and the resources and events they offer have given me many spaces for learning and discussion about topics related to gender and social justice, such as events on healthy relationships and education about interpersonal and dating violence. CSU’s campus community boasts a great number of offices and services to benefit everyone and their identities. As this semester progresses, I think it’s crucial that we Rams reflect on what we can do to make our communities more inclusive. Maybe hosting an online movie night that includes a documentary on different identities people have or talking with your RA about virtual involvement opportunities that facilitate inclusion and diversity on campus. What events or programs are you wanting to see? How can you make a difference in your community?
    • Emilee Bauer, Edwards Hall